7.17.2012

Zucchini Brownies...NO EGGS or OIL!

YUM! These zucchini brownies are so de-lish! Since we have zucchini growing in our garden I've been trying to think of ways we can put it in everything. :)  
Sunday afternoon was the perfect time to bake, since I saw clouds rolling in and it looked like it was going to rain. I asked Lachlan if he'd like to help me. It was the perfect time to have a little one-on-one time with him too, since both the little ones were napping! YAY!
I also told him that we weren't going to put ANY EGGS in it and he was a little excited to try them (since he's allergic to eggs).  Yeah, we'll see about that! He's a very picky eater. 
Doesn't this picture make you want to gobble it up right now?!
These come out SOOO moist and yummy. 


Yummy Zucchini Brownies:
(adapted from here and here)

1/2 cup applesauce
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt ( i totally forgot to add this.. see what happens when i bake! yikes!)
2 cups zucchini shredded ( i might of added a little more than 2 cups)


Chocolate Frosting:

6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup butter (half a stick)
2 cups powdered sugar (I used about 3 since it was runny)
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract



Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking dish.




In large bowl mix together applesauce, sugar and vanilla extract until well blended. In another bowl combine the flour, ½ cup cocoa powder, baking soda and salt ( I actually forgot to add the salt and could NOT tell a difference!).  Now stir the flour mixture into the sugar mixture a little at a time. Fold in zucchini.  Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared baking dish.
Place into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until the brownies spring back when gently touched. Remove from the oven and allow them to cool.


Chocolate Frosting:
In a small saucepan over low heat melt together the cocoa powder and butter. Set aside to cool. In a medium bowl blend confectioner’s sugar, milk, and ½ teaspoon vanilla extract. Stir in the butter/cocoa mixture. Spread over cooled brownies and cut into squares.


(yes, i make a huge mess when i bake!)


Alas, Lachlan did taste the NO EGG zucchini brownies but didn't devour the whole pan like Rob and I have! :)  Little Miss, little boomer AND the neighbor kids LOVED them!! 
I must say too, that these are EVEN BETTER the next day!!!!!!


6 comments:

  1. I love your new blog, Chelsea! You are so dang creative! And this recipe looks so good...I might be making this with the zucchini my parents gave us from their garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carly!!! Yes, try it and let me know what you think. :) Are you in Florida yet? What is your blog!!?? I want to read it when you get it going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope, we move/drive down there August 2nd. Ah! Excited and nervous. My blog is:

    http://jaredandcarlyreid.blogspot.com/

    It's DEFINITELY in need of some design help so once we get settled in Florida I will hire you out for some help! :)

    Carly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! Can I have a zucchini from your garden to make these? (Love the mess and the boy sitting on the counter to help!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carly, Yea! Thanks for letting me know your blog address. I would love to help you design your blog! I bet you're nervous and excited about your move. Let's keep in touch!!! :)

    Mom...I will bring you some! :) XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so yummy!!!!! I used to have a bad egg allergy, too. I know how hard it is to deal with!

    ReplyDelete